Ingredients for 12 servings:
1. 1 piece ham (smoked if you want a stronger flavour)
2. 1 bouquet garni
3. 2 small onions, peeled
1. The night before the gammon is to be cooked place it in a bowl of cold water and allow to soak.
2. This removes some of the salt and tenderises it a little bit.
3. Place in a large cooking pot, (make sure you have a lid for it), cover with cold water, add the onions and bouquet garni and bring to the boil.
4. Turn the heat right down so the water is barely bubbling and put on the lid.
5. Cook for 20 minutes per pound of meat.
6. Once the cooking time is up leave the meat in the liquour until cooled.
7. This stops it tensing up, and drying out, and makes it lovely and tender.