Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1/4 cup peanut oil
2. 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
3. 1/2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
4. 1 long red chili pepper, finely sliced on the diagonal
5. 200 g filet of beef, finely sliced
6. 2 tablespoons fermented black beans
7. 4 shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed
8. 6 oyster mushrooms
9. 2 tablespoons rice wine (shao xing)
10. 2 tablespoons palm sugar
11. 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
12. 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
13. 1 kg fresh flat rice noodles or 1 kg vietnamese rolled rice noodles
14. 1/2 cup gai lan (Chinese broccoli leaves)
15. 2 spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
16. 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
17. 1 pinch white pepper
1. Heat the oil in a wok until just smoking. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli and fry til fragrant.
2. Add the beef slices and stir-fry for one minute, then add the black beans, both sorts of mushrooms, shao xing, palm sugar, soy and oyster sauces and chicken stock. Stir fry for one minute.
3. Add the rice noodles, broccoli leaves and spring onions and cook for a further minute. Finally, add the sesame oil and remove from the heat.
4. Spoon into a large bowl or platter then sprinkle over the pepper.