Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1/3 cup red onion, minced
2. 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
3. 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in olive oil, undrained
4. 3 cups cooked barley or 3 cups cooked cracked farro
5. 1 small red bell peppers or 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
6. 1/3 cup pitted oil-cured black olive, chopped
7. 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed and minced
8. 1 -3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
9. 1 teaspoon lemon zest
10. 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
11. 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
12. 2 teaspoons fresh lemon thyme, chopped
13. salt, to taste
14. fresh ground black pepper, to taste
15. 6 cups romaine lettuce, loosely packed and shredded
16. radicchio, shredded and mixed with romaine
17. 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and steamed and cooled
18. 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
1. In a small bowl, combine the red onion and vinegar. Set aside to soak for at least 10 minutes.
2. Empty the tuna and oil into a large bowl. Flake tuna with a fork.
3. Add cooked brown rice, bell pepper, olives, and capers.
4. Stir in the onion and any unabsorbed vinegar.
5. Add lemon juice, lemon zest (if using), olive oil (if using), parsley, thyme (if using), and salt and pepper to taste.
6. To serve, place a bed or lettuce and radicchio (if using) on each plate and spoon the salad on top.
7. Arrange green beans and eggs alongside.