Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1 -2 onion, peeled and sliced
2. 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed
3. 1 cup gruyere, grated
4. 4 eggs
5. 1 1/2 cups milk (or cream)
7. salt and pepper
8. canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. With a little canola oil in a frying pan over medium high heat caramelize the onions, stirring occasionally. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
3. Squeeze the moisture out of the thawed spinach by wrapping it in a dish towel and squeezing.
4. Beat the eggs and add the milk and whisk well.
5. Season the egg mixture with salt and pepper and a few grinds of fresh nutmeg.
6. Spray or wipe oil all over a deep pie dish.
7. When the onions are well caramelized, place evenly over bottom of pie dish then evenly spread the spinach over the onions and follow up with the cheese.
8. Pour the egg mixture over the top and pop into the oven.
9. Bake until firm in the middle, about 40-45 minutes.
10. Serve with fresh fruit and popovers hot from the oven!