Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 1 smoked ham hock
2. 4 whole cloves
3. 3 bay leaves (dried)
4. 1 large cauliflower
5. 60 g butter
6. 1 brown onion (small chopped)
7. 60 g flour (just over 1/3 cup)
8. 300 ml cream
9. 2 bay leaves (dried)
10. 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
11. 200 g tasty cheese (2 cups coarsely grated or cheddar)
12. 50 g parmesan cheese (1/2 cup finely grated)
13. salt (flakes to taste)
14. fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Place the ham hock, cloves, bay leaves and peppercorns in a large saucepan and cover with cold water and bring to the boil over medium heat and then reduce the heat to low and simmer (adding extra water to keep the ham hock covered) for about 3 hours, or until tender and the meat starts to fall frm the bone.
2. Allow the ham hock to cool before shredding the meat and then place the shredded meat evenly along the bottom of a buttered casserole dish.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C.
4. Cut your cauliflower into florets and place in a steamer and cook for 4 to 5 minutes and then place the cauliflower over the ham in the casserole dish.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft and then stir in the flour and allow to cook for a few minutes before adding the cream and bay leaves and stir continuously while the sauce thickens.
6. When the sauce is ready, turn off the heat and remove the bay leaves and stir in the mustard and tasty cheese (or cheddar) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle with the parmesan and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top, serve it hot.