Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 6 ounces best-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2. 1/4 cup butter, softened
3. 4 large egg yolks
4. 10 large egg whites
5. 1/4 cup sugar
6. icing sugar
7. whipped cream
1. Butter a soufflé dish and dust with sugar, tapping out excess.
2. Preheat oven to 430F.
3. Melt chocolate and stir until smooth.
4. Whisk butter into hot chocolate; add yolks and combine well.
5. Beat egg whites until frothy.
6. Beat in sugar gradually, and beat until whites hold stiff peaks.
7. Lighten chocolate mixture with ¼ of the whites, and then gently fold in remaining whites (a few white streaks may show, and this is not a problem).
8. Pour into prepared dish.
9. Put dish in slightly larger baking pan and add enough hot water in second pan to reach 1/3 up the side of the soufflé dish.
10. Bake for 40 minutes (center will be very soft).
11. Give a light dusting of icing sugar over top, bring to table immediately.
12. Serve with Whipped Cream.