Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3. 1 tablespoon olive oil
4. 1 medium onion, minced
6. 3 garlic cloves, minced
7. 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8. 1 lb ground beef
9. 10 curly edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2 inch pieces
10. 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
11. 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
12. 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
14. 1 cup ricotta cheese
15. 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Pour tomatoes with their juices into 1 quart liquid measuring cup. Add water until mixture measures 1 quart.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes snd cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground meat and cook, breaking apart meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
3. Scatter pasta over meat but do not stir. pour diced tomatoes with juices and tomato sauce over pasta. Cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with heaping tablespoons ricotta, cover, and let stand off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and remaining 3 tablespoons parmesan. Serve.