Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2. 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
3. 2 ears white corn (shucked, reserve 8 leaves for garnish, or 1 cup frozen corn thawed)
4. 3 large eggs (beaten lightly)
5. 1 teaspoon cornstarch
6. 3/4 cup half-and-half
7. 1 teaspoon sugar
8. 1/4 teaspoon salt
9. 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
10. 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
11. 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (or muenster, grated)
12. 2 tablespoons chives (reserve 12 tops for garnish)
13. 1 lb mushroom (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
14. 1 tablespoon parsley
15. 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. split 1 tbsp of butter between four 5 or 6 ounce custard cups and butter insides well.
2. use breadcrumbs to coat insides of all four dishes completely.
3. with a serrated knife, cut the corn kernels off of the cobs and place into a 2 cup glass measuring cup (there should be about 1 cup of corn).
4. add 1 tbsp of butter, cover with wax paper and cook in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until butter is just melted.
5. in large bowl combine eggs and cornstarch with whisk until smooth.
6. add half and half, sugar, salt, cayenne, pepper, cheese,1 tbsp chives and the corn butter mixture.
7. stir untill combined.
8. divide in custard bowls.
9. place bowls 1 inch apart in microwave.
10. cook, uncovered on medium for 10 to 14 minutes or until custards are firm and a knife inserted close to the center comes out clean (rearrange cups if needed after 5 minutes).
11. let stand for 5 minutes.
12. meanwhile place ramaining 2 tbsp of butter, chives, mushrooms, parsley, and lemon juice in a 2 qt microwaveable casserole dish and cook, uncovered on high for 2-4 minutes, stirring after one minute.
13. to serve run a thin knife around the edge of each cup, turn out onto four small plates and spoon mushroom mixture around each.