Ingredients for 8 servings:
1. 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 pound)
2. 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
3. 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
4. 2 green onions, sliced thin
5. 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
6. 12 drops Tabasco sauce
7. 2 tablespoons dry white wine
8. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
9. 1 small garlic clove, crushed
10. 1 large egg, lightly beaten
11. 1 lb fresh crabmeat (canned crab meat can be used, but i recommend fresh crab)
12. 48 medium button mushrooms
13. cooking oil
1. Combine cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, green onions and basil in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Combine Tabasco sauce, wine, lemon juice, garlic and egg in a separate bowl. Add to the breadcrumb mixture; Add crab meat to bread crumb mixture and fold until blended; Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 400° degrees F.
4. Remove mushroom stems out of the caps. Take a small handful of stuffing in your palm and mold into a round ball (wet hands will keep it from sticking). Place stuffing firmly inside the mushroom cap, being careful not to break the mushroom. Place stuffed mushrooms on an oiled cookie sheet about a half inch apart. (At this point, the mushrooms can be refrigerated and baked later).
5. Bake for 15 20 minutes or until the stuffing is lightly browned and serve. They can also be reheated if not served immediately.