Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1 onion, small chopped
2. 4 tablespoons butter
3. 1 1/2 cups bread cubes (dry, plain)
4. 1/2 cup brown sugar (light brown)
5. 5 cups tomatoes, canned
6. 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
7. 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute onion in butter until soft, but not browned. Add bread cubes and brown sugar. Cook and stir over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased shallow casserole dish.
2. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, top each serving with homemade croutons or drizzle plain bread cubes with melted butter, season as desired and bake 5 to 10 minutes.