Ingredients for 1 servings:
1. 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
2. 1 1/4 cups warm water (110°-115°F)
3. 3 cups all-purpose unbleached white flour (or unbleached white „bread flour”)
4. 2 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
5. 2 teaspoons salt
6. 2 tablespoons sugar
7. unsalted butter, for brushing the top crust
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Stir sugar into yeast/water mixture, let mixture sit until tiny bubbles start to form.
3. Add butter, salt and half the flour.
4. With electric mixer on medium speed, beat batter for 2 minutes.
5. Add remaining flour, stirring by hand (or on low speed) until well blended and smooth (batter will be very thick, like a very soft dough).
6. Cover bowl with a tea towel, and let the batter rise in a warm draft free place for 30-60 minutes or until doubled.
7. Beat the batter by hand, about 25 strokes (the dough will deflate).
8. Spread batter evenly into a greased 8×3 or 9×4 inch loaf pan.
9. Smooth out the top of the loaf by patting it with your floured hand.
10. Cover pan, and let batter rise again (about 30-60 minutes) until dough has reached the top of the pan.
11. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when the top is lightly tapped.
12. Remove from pan.
13. For a softer crust, brush the top of the hot loaf with butter.
14. Cool on a wire rack.
15. Bread slices best when it is cooled.