Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 14 ounces extra firm tofu
2. 2 tablespoons olive oil
3. 1/2 cup broth
4. 1/4 cup pesto sauce
5. 3 large garlic cloves, minced
6. 2 teaspoons dried oregano
7. 2 teaspoons dried thyme
8. 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
9. 1 teaspoon lemon juice
12. 1/3 cup crumbled feta
13. 1/3 cup tzatziki, sauce
14. 1 cucumber, chopped
15. 1 large tomatoes, chopped
16. 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped
17. 4 pita bread
1. drain the tofu and press for 30 min by putting between paper towels with a large weight (book or heavy pan) on top.
2. Prepare the marinade by mixing oil, broth, pesto, garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
3. cut the tofu into thin strips. Marinate the tofu for 1hr minimum, tossing a few times to make sure it is evenly distributed but being careful not to break pieces.
4. meanwhile, combine cucumber, tomato, olive and feta in a bowl.
5. Take the tofu out of the marinade (reserve marinade) and fry over very high heat in a non-stick skillet until darkly browned (very important that it is non-stick!). Turn off heat and immediately pour extra marinade over tofu. The pan will be very hot and the marinade should mostly cook off immediately,.
6. Meanwhile, heat up pitas in oven or microwave. Cut in half and fill each one with tofu, tzatziki, and veggies.