Ingredients for 2 servings:
1. 2 -3 chicken breasts, cut in strips
2. 1 cup pancake mix
3. 1 teaspoon salt
4. 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
5. 1/4 teaspoon thyme
6. 1/4 teaspoon tarragon
7. 1/4 teaspoon sage
8. 2/3 cup milk
9. 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
10. vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Cut chicken breasts into small strips. In a wide shallow bowl combine pancake mix, salt, dry mustard and herbs.
2. Stir hot pepper sauce into milk. Add to dry mixture and stir until smooth. (If too thick, stir in one or two tablespoons more milk, but you will want it fairly thick to coat chicken.).
3. Dip chicken pieces into batter. Drop in vegetable oil heated to 340 to 350 degrees on a frying thermometer. (Chicken fingers may be dropped into hot oil 1/2 inch deep in a skillet.) Fry about 5 minutes, turning once, until golden. Drain on paper towels.
4. Note: Do not crowd when frying. Fry only a few pieces at a time.