Ingredients for 1 servings:
1. 1 tablespoon cornstarch
2. 3/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
3. 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
4. 3 tablespoons sugar
5. 1 tablespoon ketchup
6. 2 tablespoons soy sauce
7. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
8. 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
9. 2 tablespoons olive oil
10. 3 garlic cloves, crushed
11. 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
12. 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick shapes
13. 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
14. 1 stalk celery, chopped into strips
15. 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
16. 1 lb firm tofu
1. Press tofu by placing paper towel over tofu and placing a heavy saucepan over the top.
2. Let sit while you prepare rest of recipe.
3. Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of the broth in a small cup until well blended.
4. Add the rest of the broth, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger, and cayenne pepper and set aside.
5. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pay over high heat.
6. Stir-fry the garlic, onion, and carrots until the carrots begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
7. Add the pepper, celery, and mushrooms and stir-fry for another 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Stir the sauce well and add it to the vegetables.
9. Cook until the mixture thickens. Cut tofu in strips or cubes.
10. Add tofu to vegetables and cook until the tofu is thoroughly heated.
11. Serve immediately over rice.