Ingredients for 12 servings:
1. 1 teaspoon sugar
2. 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
3. 1/4 cup tepid water (105-110 degrees)
4. 1 cup warm milk
5. 1/4 cup melted butter
6. 1/4 cup sugar
7. 1 egg, beaten (at room temp)
8. 1 teaspoon salt
9. 4 cups all-purpose flour
1. Combine sugar and yeast in tepid water.
2. Let stand 5-10 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
3. Thoroughly mix milk, butter, sugar, egg and salt in large bowl.
4. Stir in the yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of flour, adding a bit more if necessary to make a soft, pliable dough.
5. Turn dough out on floured board and let rest while you clean and butter bowl.
6. Knead dough gently 4-5 minutes, adding flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and silky.
7. Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (1 1/2 hours appoximately).
8. Butter a 12 cup muffin tin.
9. Punch down dough.
10. Pinch off pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, (enough to fill one-half of muffin cup), and roll into smooth spheres.
11. Place two such pieces in each prepared muffin cup- it will be a tight fit.
12. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap for 45 minutes.
13. Bake rolls in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until light brown.
14. Serve as soon as they are cool enough to throw.