Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 2 cups arborio rice
2. 3 tablespoons olive oil
3. 90 g butter
4. 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
5. 150 ml dry white wine
6. 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock, warm
7. 25 g parmesan cheese
8. 25 g pecorino cheese
9. 25 g mozzarella cheese
10. 1 teaspoon salt
11. 1 teaspoon pepper
12. 1 pinch saffron thread
13. 100 ml lemon juice
14. 30 g parmesan cheese, shaved, for serving
1. Add saffron threads to some boiling water and leave to steep.
2. Heat oil and 1/2 the butter in a large saucepan or wok over moderate heat. Add garlic and rice stirring until coated and glossy, but not coloured.
3. Increase heat to high, pour in the wine. When the mixture bubbles, reduce the heat to medium, simmer until wine is absorbed.
4. Keep the rice at a lively temperature and add 2 cups of warm stock at a time, stirring until all absorbed before each new addition.
5. Pour in the saffron infused water and the lemon juice with the final stock amount and stir well, until rice is just tender – about 25 minutes.
6. Add the remaining butter and the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve immediately with shaved parmesan.