Ingredients for 2 servings:
1. 2 medium russet potatoes
2. 2 tablespoons cornstarch
3. 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste for step 4
4. 1/2 teaspoon dry mint powder (sukha podina)
5. 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (kali mirch)
6. 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
7. 1/8 teaspoon citric acid (tatri)
8. oil, to fry
1. Wash potatoes, peel, and cut into French fries (we use our Mandolin slicer with the French fry blade).
2. Toss potato fries with salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Drain the salt water resulting from step 2 and lightly pat the fries dry.
4. In small bowl mix cornstarch, salt, mint powder, citric acid, red and black peppers together.
5. Sprinkle the spice mix over potatoes and mix well so all the fries are covered with spices.
6. Heat 1 ½ – inch oil in frying pan on medium high heat.
7. Test readiness of heated oil by placing a potato strip in frying pan. The frying pan is ready when the potato strip sizzles.
8. Fry the fries til they become golden in color all around. Turn the fries a few times while frying.
9. With slotted utensil, transfer fries from oil and drain on paper towel.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!