Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 1 cup barley
2. 3 cups chicken stock, fat free & low sodium
3. 1/2 lb chicken breast, on the bone, skin on
4. 1 tablespoon olive oil
5. 1 teaspoon olive oil
7. cracked black pepper
8. garlic powder
9. 1 garlic clove, minced
10. 9 ounces Baby Spinach, one pre-washed bag
11. 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
12. 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
13. 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
14. 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved
15. 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
16. 1 tablespoon Italian dressing
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add barley and chicken stock to a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Set aside.
3. Place the chicken breast in a roasting pan, skin side up. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add about ¼ cup of water to the bottom of the pan. Roast at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees. Once the chicken is cool, discard the skin and bones and cut into cubes. Set aside.
4. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic to a deep pot. Cook garlic on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add spinach and crushed red pepper flakes. Saute until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine the barley, cubed chicken, wilted spinach, grape tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, feta cheese and Italian dressing. Stir together and re-season if necessary. Serve at room temperature.