Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 4 (4 ounce) chicken, beef or 4 (4 ounce) pork cutlets
2. salt & freshly ground black pepper
3. 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
4. 1 cup plain breadcrumbs, for dredging
5. 2 eggs, beaten
6. vegetable oil, for shallow frying
7. 4 telera rolls or 4 French bread
8. 4 lettuce leaves
11. 12 thin slices white onions
12. 12 pickled jalapeno peppers
13. 8 lime wedges, for garnish
14. 1 canned chipotle chiles in adobo or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
15. 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
16. 1/4 cup mayonnaise
17. salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper, to taste. Put the flour in a dinner plate and season with salt and pepper. Put the bread crumbs in a second plate and the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl. Dip the cutlets into the flour, then the eggs and finally into the bread crumbs, pressing down on both sides so that the bread crumbs adhere to the meat.
2. Heat 1/2-inch oil in a large skillet to 350 degrees F. Pan-fry the cutlets in batches until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per side depending on the thickness. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
3. To assemble the sandwiches, halve the rolls horizontally. Pull out the soft center of the slices and discard. Spread each roll evenly with the chipotle mayonnaise. Put the cutlets on the bottom halves of the rolls and top with lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion and jalapeno. Arrange the sandwiches on serving plates and garnish with lime wedges.
4. Chipotle Mayonnaise:
5. In a small bowl mash together the chipotle chile, lime juice and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.