Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
2. 1 egg, slightly beaten
3. 1 cup finely crushed butter flavored cracker (about 25 crackers, I use Ritz crackers)
4. 1/2 teaspoon salt (I use seasoned salt)
5. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
6. 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (can use more)
7. 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
8. 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
9. 4 tablespoons butter, divided
10. 4 slices ham
11. 4 slices swiss cheese
1. In a bowl slightly beat the egg.
2. In another shallow bowl combine cracker crumbs with salt, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne.
3. Dip chicken in egg allowing excess to drip off, then coat in the crumbs; set aside.
4. In a large heavy skillet saute mushrooms in 2 tbsp butter until tender; remove and set aside.
5. In the same skillet melt remaining 2 tbsp butter; add chicken and cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is done.
6. Top each chicken breast with a ham slice, mushrooms, and a cheese slice.
7. Broil for 4 inches from heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.