Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 2 cups lager beer or 2 cups light beer
2. 2 onions, chopped
3. 5 garlic cloves, chopped
4. 1 fresh green chili pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced (poblano or serrano)
5. 2/3 cup fresh tomatoes, diced or 2/3 cup canned chopped tomato
6. 2 -3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1. Scrub the mussels under cold running water to remove any mud. Using a sharp knife cut away the feathery beards from the shells. Discard any open mussle that does not clamp shut when tapped with a knife. Rinse again in cold water.
2. Place the lager, onions, garlic, chili, and tomatoes in a heavy-based pan. Bring to a boil. Add the mussels and cook, covered, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until the shells open. Discard any mussel that has not opened.
3. Ladle into individual bowls and serve sprinkled with fresh cilantro.