Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 1 lb okra, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
2. 10 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus more leaves for garnish
3. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4. 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
5. 1 medium onion, finely diced
6. 3 garlic cloves, minced
7. 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
8. 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
9. 3 plum tomatoes, diced or 1 cup drained canned diced tomato
10. 1/2 cup vegetable broth or 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
11. 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
12. 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
13. 3/4 teaspoon salt
14. 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce or 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
1. Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add okra and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the okra with a slotted spoon to the ice water. Drain.
2. Tie cilantro sprigs together with kitchen string.
3. Heat oil in a tagine dish set over a heat diffuser or a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until soft, 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
4. Add onion, garlic, ginger and pepper to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, 3 to 6 minutes. Mix in tomatoes, broth, cumin, the okra, cilantro sprigs and half the bell pepper. Reduce heat to medium; partially cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the okra is soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and salt; cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; discard the cilantro sprigs. Stir in harissa (or hot sauce). Serve sprinkled with the remaining bell pepper and cilantro leaves, if desired.