Ingredients for 60 servings:
1. 1/4 cup sugar, turbinado is lovely but white will do
2. 1 3/4 ounces no-sugar-needed pectin
3. 3 lbs figs, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4. 2 cups brown sugar
5. 1/3 cup lemon juice, bottled
6. 1 orange, zest and fruit chopped (skin and pith removed and discarded)
7. 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
8. 1 fresh rosemary sprig, about four inches
9. 1 -2 fresh cayenne pepper, your favorite chili minced
1. Mix the 1/4 cup sugar and pectin together.
2. In a large, deep, nonreactive saucepan, toss all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cooking over high heat, stirring, until the fruit is soft and the liquid runs off the side of a spoon in thick, heavy drops, about 20 minutes. Remove rosemary and discard.
3. Spoon the jam into three 1/2-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch of space at the top. Close the jars and let cool to room temperature. Store the jam in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
5. Place in sterilized Ball jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.
6. Wipe rims and adjust caps.
7. Process half-pints and pints 10 minutes.
8. in hot-water bath covering with 2 inches of water.
9. Turn flame off and remove lid let sit 5 minutes.
10. Remove jars and cool for 12-24 hours.
11. You can remove rings and wipe jars.
12. Store in a cool dark place.
13. Optional for those that like it smoother without chunks you can blend the figs using an immersion blender while cooking.
14. Altitude times.
15. 1,000-3000 for 5 minutes.
16. 3000-6000 for 10 minutes.
17. 6000-8000 for 15 minutes.
18. 8000-10,000 for 20 minutes.