Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1 tablespoon olive oil
2. 1 tablespoon sesame oil
3. 1 lb ground chicken (Ive also used ground turkey with good results)
4. 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large yellow onion, diced small
5. 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
6. 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
7. 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
8. 1 tablespoon asian chili-garlic sauce
9. 3 minced garlic cloves
10. 1 teaspoon ground ginger
11. 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and diced small
12. 2 -3 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
13. 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
14. 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
15. 8 butter lettuce leaves, for serving
1. To a large skillet, add the oils, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through; stir intermittently to crumbly while cooking.
2. Add the onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chili garlic sauce, stir to combine, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent and most of the liquid has been absorbed; stir intermittently.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
4. Add the water chestnuts, green onions, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until tender. Taste filling and make any necessary flavor adjustments, i.e. more soy sauce, hoisin, pepper, etc.
5. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into the lettuce leaves to serve. Recipe is best warm and fresh but filling will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.