Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 2 lbs fresh green beans, whole and not french-ed
2. 2 large sweet onions, cut into thick 1/2-inch slices
3. 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
4. 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced very thin
5. 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
6. 1 1/2 cups water
7. 1/2 cup olive oil
8. 1 teaspoon sea salt, add more as needed to taste
9. 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1. Use a large stock pot or dutch oven, sautee onions over medium heat with the salt and pepper in 1/4 cup olive oil until onions just begin to soften- about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and potatoes and stir. Add the tomato sauce and water. Add the green beans last, stir all together until well mixed. Drizzle the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil on top.
3. Cook over medium -low heat, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until potatoes are fork tender and beans are soft. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
4. This usually takes and hour and a half but I often lower the heat and leave the beans on for 2+ hours.
5. The beans are even better the next day- get out your bread, load up a bowl and enjoy yourself! Kali orexi!