Ingredients for 20 servings:
1. 3 lbs mushrooms (1 to 2 inches in diameter, commercially grown)
2. 2 1/2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
3. 1 3/4 cups water
4. 3 tablespoons morton canning & pickling salt
5. 1/3 cup chopped onion
6. 2 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
7. 5 garlic cloves
1. Trim off stem ends of mushrooms. Wash mushrooms in cool running water. Drain.
2. In large pot, combine vinegar, water and salt. Heat, stirring to dissolve salt. Add mushrooms. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer mushrooms in brine for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Pack mushrooms into sterilized half-pint jars. To each jar add: 1 tablespoon onion, 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, and 1 clove garlic. Fill jars with hot brine, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles using a non-metal spatula. Wipe rims of jars and adjust lids. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath.
3. NOTE: If mushrooms are large (2 inches in diameter), 1 to 2 more sterilized pint jars may be needed. Use additional spices as needed for each jar. Processing time above is for less than 1000 feet. For altitudes of 1000-6000 feet, process 25 minutes; above 6000 feet, process for 30 minutes.