Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 1 cup olive oil
2. 2 tablespoons olive oil
3. 6 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
4. 3 garlic cloves, minced
5. 2 shallots, minced
6. salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
7. 6 portabella mushrooms, about 1 1/2 lb total, brushed clean and stems removed
8. 6 round sourdough rolls, cut in half
9. 1 1/2 cups crumbed goat cheese
10. 12 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and sliced in half
11. 24 fresh basil leaves
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, shallots, salt and pepper. Arrange the mushroom caps in a single layer in a shallow, nonreactive dish. Pour half the marinade over the mushrooms and reserve the remainder. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour, turning after 30 minutes.
2. Prepare a fire in a grill. Lightly oil the grill rack. When the coals are hot, remove the mushrooms from the marinade, place on the grill rack and weigh with a large fry pan. Grill the mushrooms until tender and seared on both sides, about 4 minutes total.
3. Drizzle about 1 Tb of the reserved marinade on each roll half. Place a mushroom on the bottom half of each roll. Sprinkle the top half with goat cheese, then cover with sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves. Place the halves together. Secure each sandwich with toothpicks, cut in half, and wrap in aluminum foil. Keep chilled until ready to serve.