Ingredients for 54 servings:
1. 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3. 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
4. 1/2 lb cool margarine, cut into small pieces
5. 1 cup sugar
6. 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
7. 1 large egg, room temperature
8. 1 large egg white, room temperature
9. 2 teaspoons vanilla
10. 4 ounces potato chips, crushed (about 6 cups, my favorite is Ruffles)
11. 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or 3 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
1. Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven; preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and nutmeg until combined; set aside.
3. Put margarine in a big bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until softened.
4. Add in both sugars; continue beating until combined but grainy, with no bits of margarine visible, about 2 minutes.
5. Beat in the egg, then the egg white and vanilla.
6. Turn off the beaters; add in the flour mixture, and beat at low speed until a sticky and thick but nonetheless soft batter forms, about 20 seconds.
7. Remove the beaters and stir in the crushed potato chips and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon, just until evenly distributed.
8. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto 2 large ungreased nonstick baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
9. Bake for 8 minutes, then reverse the baking sheets front to back and top to bottom.
10. Continue baking for about 7 more minutes, or until the cookies are browned and somewhat firm to touch.
11. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.