Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 1 cup heavy cream
2. 3/4 cup milk
3. 3/4 cup maple syrup
4. 3/4 cup canned solid- pack pumpkin
5. 7 large egg yolks
6. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
7. 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8. 1/8 teaspoon salt
9. 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
10. 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cream, milk, syrup, and pumpkin, Bringing to a simmer over medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together yolks, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. Whisking constantly, gradually add hot cream mixture to the yolk mixture, straining through a fine-mesh sieve into a large pyrex measuring cup.
5. Divide mixture evenly among six 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups.
6. Line the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with a kitchen towel to prevent custards from scorching; place ramekins on top of towel.
7. Place in oven on center rack, and pour enough boiling water in pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
8. Cover pan tightly with foil, and bake until custard is set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Allow to cool completely, then refrigerate, covered first with paper towel (to absorb moisture), and then with plastic wrap, for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
10. Serve garnished with chopped crystallized ginger and sweetened whipped cream.