Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 150 g shortcrust pastry (5 oz)
2. 175 g gruyere cheese, thinly sliced (6 oz)
3. 175 g bacon, chopped (6 oz)
4. 2 eggs, beaten
5. 1 pinch cayenne pepper
6. 1 pinch nutmeg, Grated
7. 150 ml single cream (or top of milk)
1. Line an 18-cm(7-in) flan tin or sandwich cake tin with the pastry.
2. Place a layer of cheese on the pastry, then a layer of bacon, and repeat until both ingredients have been used up.
3. Mix the eggs with the cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and cream or milk.
4. then pour over the cheese and bacon mixture in the flan case.
5. Bake near the top of the oven at 200C(400F) Gas mark 6 for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the filling set.
6. Serve hot or cold.