Ingredients for 1 servings:
1. 2 cups all-purpose flour
2. 2 teaspoons baking powder
3. 2 teaspoons baking soda
4. 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5. 1 teaspoon kosher salt
6. 2 cups buttermilk, add less (or more)
7. 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the skillet
8. 2 large eggs
9. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt; set aside. Combine 1 cup of the buttermilk with 2 tablespoons of melted butter and the eggs. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Gently combine, adding vanilla extract and additional buttermilk as needed. Mixture should be fairly thick and lumpy, but pourable; avoid overmixing.
2. Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium high heat, add additional butter, non-stick spray or cooking oil to the pan. Spoon 1/3 cup measure of batter onto pan leaving at least 1/2 inch between each. When pancakes begin to bubble up and edges appear to be dry, turn over to brown the other side. Repeat with remaining butter and batter. Serve immediately with additional butter, warmed syrup, a side of sausage and fruit. Skillet apples are excellent with these. Makes about 16 depending on the size you make them. Can halve recipe.
3. Buttermilk Substitute: Can substitute 3/4 cup of regular milk, but if you do, add 2 teaspoons of baking powder and eliminate the baking soda, or make a homemade buttermilk substitute using regular whole milk and vinegar. A buttermilk substitute will never take the place of real buttermilk, but it will work in a pinch.