Ingredients for 10 servings:
1. 1 zucchini, sliced vertically
2. 1 large sweet onion, peeled and quartered
3. 2 large tomatoes, quartered
4. 1 head garlic, remove outer layer, separate into cloves
5. 1/4 cup olive oil
6. 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (I used Italian Blend by Penzey’s)
7. 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (I used Italian Blend by Penzey’s)
8. fresh ground pepper, several grinds
9. 1 lb pasta (I used penne)
10. 1 tablespoon kosher salt
11. 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
12. 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
13. 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
14. 2 eggs
15. 4 links Italian sausage, cooked and sliced
16. 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place zucchini, onion, tomatoes (skin side down) and garlic cloves on large baking sheet, combine with olive oil and 1 tsp Italian spices and several grinds of freshly ground black pepper. Place in oven and set timer for 30 minutes. Turn zucchini slices and onions about halfway through.
2. Meanwhile, place large pot of water on stove over high heat. When water is boiling, add kosher salt and pasta. Cook until pasta is about 3/4 done, approximately 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Check vegetables after 30 minutes and remove from oven when nicely roasted. Set aside to cool. When vegetables are cool, remove peel from garlic cloves and roughly chop the other vegetables. Set aside.
4. Combine ricotta, 8 ounces mozzarella, parmigiana cheese, eggs,1 tsp Italian spices and several grinds of freshly ground pepper in large bowl.
5. Reset oven to 350 degrees F. In a large baking dish, combine roasted vegetables and pasta. Add sausage and tomato sauce. Top with cheese mixture and gently mix. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake covered with aluminum foil for approximately 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned on top.
6. Serve to a hungry crowd.