Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2. 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3. 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
4. 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs albacore tuna, cut into 1-inch wide strips
5. 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
6. 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, minced
7. 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon marjoram, minced
8. salt and pepper
9. 1 cup tomatoes, chopped, seeded, and peeled if you like
10. 1/2 cup kalamata olives or 1/2 cup other dark olive, pitted if you like
11. 1 tablespoon capers, drained
12. 1 pinch red pepper flakes (to taste)
13. minced fresh basil
14. minced of fresh mint
1. Heat the garlic in the oil over low heat until it turns pale gold, about 15 minutes. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon to a small bowl.
2. Increase the heat to med-high and add the red onions. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the tuna strips. Increase the heat to high and quickly sear the fish on all sides, while seasoning it with the basil, oregano, and mint. Cook until the fish is done to your liking, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove fish to a hot platter or warm oven.
3. Return the garlic to the skillet. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, and red pepper flakes. Cook for just a minute, stirring occasionally. Spoon over fish.
4. Garnish with the remaining basil and mint.