Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 3 tablespoons flour
2. 1 1/2 cups skim milk (see note)
3. 1 tablespoon olive oil
4. 1 large onion, chopped
5. 1 medium garlic clove, chopped
6. 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
7. 1/2 teaspoon salt
8. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Place flour and milk in a blender and blend until well mixed and smooth.
2. Saute onion in oil on medium heat until tender.
3. Add shrimp and cook, stirring until translucent, about 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Pour liquid in and cook over medium heat stirring until thickened, making sure the shrimp is done, but not overcooked (a total cooking time of 3 to 5 minutes is usually enough for shrimp depending on the size.
5. Add , salt and pepper to taste.
6. Use over pasta or rice and add Parmesan cheese or flakes of red pepper if desired.
7. Note: cream sauces break or coagulate due to high heat, acids or salt. Fat in a sauce helps prevent this, but if you use skim milk as I do, keep the sauce from boiling if possible and add the salt at the end.