Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1 teaspoon cumin seed
2. 2 cups water
3. 1 teaspoon salt
4. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
5. 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
6. 1 small pinch saffron thread
7. 1 1/2 cups couscous
1. In a saucepan, stir the cumin over moderately high heat until toasted. Add the water, salt, turmeric, red pepper and saffron and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in the couscous. Cook, stirring, until the couscous absorbs the water visible on top.
3. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.