Ingredients for 16 servings:
1. 1 small red onion, sliced
2. 1 small red onion, chopped
3. 1 garlic clove, minced
4. 1/2 teaspoon salt
5. 2 -3 tablespoons bacon grease
6. 2 (14 ounce) cans Rotel diced tomatoes (Mexican)
7. 2 cups chicken broth
8. 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
9. 1/2 teaspoon cumin
10. 3 cups instant rice
1. Slice one of the onions in very thin slices. Finely chop the other onion.
2. Mash the garlic with the salt to make a paste.
3. Heat the bacon drippings in a medium sauce pan. Add chopped onions and garlic paste. Cook and stir until onions are translucent.
4. Puree the two cans of Rotel Mexican Diced Tomatoes with Lime Juice and Cilantro.
5. Add pureed Rotel, chicken broth, chili powder and cumin. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in instant rice and sliced onions.
6. Cover and let stand over very low heat 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.