Ingredients for 6 servings:
1. 1 cup lentils, sorted & rinsed
2. 1 cinnamon stick
3. 7 cups water (more or less)
4. 1 tablespoon olive oil
5. 3 cups minced onions
6. 2 tablespoons minced garlic
7. 2 teaspoons salt
8. 1 teaspoon turmeric
9. 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
10. 2 teaspoons ground cumin
11. 3 bay leaves
12. 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
13. 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (canned is fine)
14. black pepper
15. cayenne pepper
17. plain yogurt
18. parsley, chopped
19. of fresh mint, chopped
1. In a large soup pot, place lentils with the cinnamon stick in 7 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick and drain the lentils, reserving the liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, salt, turmeric, cumin seeds, ground cumin, and bay leaves. Saute over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. If the pot gets a bit dry moisten with some of the reserved lentil water.
3. Measure out the reserved lentil water and add water to reach 6 cups of liquid and return to soup pot with the spiced cooked onions. Add the canned crushed tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for another 15 minutes or so.
4. Stir in the chickpeas and lentils and cook for about 5 minutes to warm through. The legumes should not become mushy.
5. Season to taste with the two peppers and lemon juice; adjust salt.
6. Serve hot with some yogurt [omit for Vegan], a sprinkling of parsley or mint, and currants, if desired.