Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1 lb turkey sausage
2. 1 medium onion, cut in chunks
3. 2 carrots, cut in chunks
4. 2 celery ribs, cut in chunks
5. 4 garlic cloves
6. 1 small fennel bulb
7. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8. 2 teaspoons butter
9. 2/3 cup white wine
10. 4 teaspoons tomato paste
11. 2/3 cup milk
12. 4 teaspoons cornstarch
13. 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
14. 2 cups hot chicken stock
15. 2 bay leaves
16. 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
1. Place onion, carrot, fennel, garlic and celery in food processor and mince to an even textured paste (aka a pastata. Fancy!).
2. Pour oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pastata and a dash of salt. Cook for around 5 minutes, or until all the liquid evaporates and is beginning to stick to the pan.
3. Crumble in meat and stir with the pestata. Sprinkle with salt and cook until browned.
4. Pour in wine and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes for the alcohol to evaporate. Pour in the milk mixed with cornstarch and tomato paste. Stir around for 1-2 minutes.
5. Ladle in the hot stock and add bay leaf, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook for 20 more minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Serve with hot cooked pasta and fresh parsley.