Ingredients for 4 servings:
1. 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
2. 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3. 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
4. 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
5. 4 cups vegetable oil, divided
6. 1/2 lb ground beef
7. 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
8. hot sauce (preferably Jamaican)
9. 30 wonton wrappers
1. Cook scallion, onion, curry powder, and thyme in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef and bread crumbs and cook until meat is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with hot sauce. Cool.
2. Put a rounded teaspoon filling in center of a wrapper. Lightly brush edge of wrapper with water, then fold in half (diagonally if square) and press to seal. Form remaining dumplings.
3. Heat 1 inch oil to 350°F in a 12-inch skillet. Fry dumplings in 3 batches, turning once or twice, until golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.