Ingredients for 1 servings:
1. 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground sausage
2. 1 lb ground beef
3. 12 ounces canned tomato sauce
4. 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
5. 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried parsley, chopped
6. 2 garlic cloves, minced
7. 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
8. 1/2 cup minced onion
9. 1 pinch sugar
10. 2 teaspoons dried basil
11. 1/2 teaspoon salt
12. 1/2 lb small curd cottage cheese
13. 1/2 lb ricotta cheese
14. 3 eggs
15. 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
16. 1/2 teaspoon salt
17. 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
18. 1 (16 ounce) package dry lasagna noodles
19. 1 lb mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Brown pork OR sausage and beef in a dutch oven or similar large, deep skillet.
3. Once meat is browned, add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon parsley.
4. Add garlic, oregano, onion, sugar, basil and salt.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and let sauce simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Give it a good stir every 5 minutes or so.
7. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp parsley, salt and pepper.
8. Cover the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish with a thin layer of sauce followed by 1 or 2 layers of uncooked lasagna noodles; Assemble the remainder in the following sequence: cheese-egg mixture, sauce, mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded), noodles; repeat layers ending with a layer of noodles covered with a thin layer of sauce and some shredded mozzarella.
9. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes .
10. Remove foil, cover top with more mozzarella and grated parmesan.
11. Bake for another 5-10 minutes .
12. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
13. NOTE: When assembling the lasagna, we use medium- thick slices of mozzarella rather than shredded.
14. Either works great, the sliced cheese just seems to add a little extra cheesiness.
15. We use shredded for the mozzarella topping that is applied at the end.